Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Honest Abe...Get To Know The Poet!


Artist Bio:

Abraham Benjamin a.k.a. Honest Abe, born in Brooklyn, NY, is a
writer/poet, and the author of his first book of poetry, "Unlocked
thoughts of a prophet's temple: Humble Beginnings.” (January 2012). 5 years removed from being on the scene he released his debut indie EP album, Brooklyn's Lost Son: Prelude to the Road 2 Redemption" (July 2011).  And has had his work published in college arts magazines.
(Ex. Antheon,Arts/Creative writing magazine at Kingsborough CC, May '09)  A brother, son, cousin, uncle and loyal to the end friend, he  describes himself as a mind-reacher,  whose main goal “is not to write to incite crimes, but to incite minds with the truth in a world & society full of lies and deception.”  His 1st form of expression wasn't poetry, but music.  He has played guitar off/on for the past 15 years.  Poetry took center stage at the end of highschool after which he’s appeared in such places as Bowery Poetry Club, the legendary Nuyorican Poets Cafe, New World Stages in Timeout NY Lounge,449 LA in Harlem,NY and the Arts Garage in Philly.  He’s also been a featured artist at the Time  Square Arts center, Lyrical Revolt IX at La Pregunta Cafe, Bridgeport Innovation center in CT,  at the 2011 Brooklyn Book Festival, various in and out of Tristate venues and has won back to back collegiate slams in the Bowery Poetry club.



1.) Can you tell all the poet fanatics a little about yourself?
Well, I'm a SCorpio, :), I've been writing everything from essays, short stories, songs and as well as poems since bout 9 y/o.   Grew up in a big family, 5 brothers and 1 sister by marriage. Lets see, I'm the youngest of my clan.  I love Strawberries, pepperoni pizza, Roti(Beef, Chicken and curry goat)and Lasagna. Fav. colors are red, black, greeen, blue, khaki and orange.
2.) How long have you been on the poetry scene and where are some places that you have had a chance to perform?
This is my 6th year on the scene.(I started back in 2007) Some places I've performed are the Bowery Poetry club(NYC),
Nuyorican Poets Cafe(NYC) Feat. more than once, The Arts Garage(Philly),Brooklyn College(Brooklyn,NYC),Brooklyn Book fest.,and Bridgeport Innovation center(CT)
 

3.) Can you tell us what a day in the life of a poet is like and what are some challenges you face?

It can be stressful at times. But for the most part if you allow it to be. If I didn't have the heart and dedication I would of left it alone a long time ago. Slow Progress in the early years and..
Tragedy help you put things and life in perspective in ways I didn't consider. But losing fam and some close friends hurt..though made me stronger in the process.
I've went more than one day during a weeks time w/o eating. Lack of money and low paying feat. don't break bills down any easier. One of the pros of being an indie artist is most def. more control.

 4.) Where does your inspiration originate from?
The simple asnswer would be...everything, everywhere and everyone. Mostly its organic and metaphysical in a sense. My friends, family, other artists...
But my mom and God are some of, if not the biggest. And any personal experience I've gone through and overcame the adversity of it.
All those forementioned, keeps my determined and creative spirit alive and going.
 
5.) At what age did you first pick up the pen?
It was around the age of 9/10. Of course a lot of my reading help in my writing getting stronger as time passed.
6.) Who are some writers that you enjoy reading?
The ones I grew up on like Langston Hughes, MArcus Garvey, DuBoise, Edgar Allen Poe, Maya Angelou,
to Gil Scot-Heron, Tennessee Williams, Yeats, Tongo-Eisen, Justinah McFadden, Tshaka Campbell, Taalam Acey, Knickie D.,Melanie "YeYo" Carter, Ainsley Burrows to name a few.

7.) What are some upcoming projects you have coming up?
 There are two books and two CD's in the works at the moment. I'll reveal the titles and release dates at a later time. A few behind the scenes projects.
And my first poetic music video. Of which piece of mine and when...TBA and TBD. 
8.) Describe some of your work to us?
Unauthodox. But very relatable despite the genre. From love, erotica, politics, socially, economically, death, persona pieces...etc. I pull no punches.  And if its a topic I'm "poppin' my cherry" on...I love a challenge and will definitely GO IN on. You could consider it a Honesty with no filter style.

 9.) Do you have any books out? Or, any poetry on cd?
Yes. I have a book and a CD out. The Book is called, Unlocked Thoughts of a Prophet's Temple: HUmble Beginnings.  Which is kinda autobigraphical. With a narrative passage and select collection of Poems.   Based off my upbringing and starting years performing. My Debut CD, Brooklyn's Lost Son:Prelude to the Road 2 Redemption...is also autobiographic in a sense bout my bouts with self doubt and hardships in life and poetry up to this point. Where my road 2 redemption really begins in discovering more and being on track fulfilling my purpose.
 
10.) What do you consider to be your main successes so far?
 One of the biggest successes of mine so far would have to be....being alive at the age of 28. Most that come from where I do in Brooklyn, are lucky to see 25.
Otherwise, performing live at the Brooklyn Book festival last year(2011) and have my parents there to see it.
 
11.) Do you have any personal philosophies?
 One would be, no matter how younger or older someone is in reference to me, I still feel I can learn something from them. For the simple fact, I don't know everything or perceive to.
Another is, life ain't a bell of roses. Which I adopted from my mom and learned at an early age. Whats done in the dark will come to the light.
Underestimation by others can bring out the best in you. And I don't do something productive, and/or affect someones life in a positive way in a 24hr period every day...
I feel like I've waste a day of existence here on earth.
12.) What advice would you offer to someone hoping to take up a similar interest to yourself?
You have to have will, determination and faith. As well as mental stamina most times or you will be broken easily. And don't give into the myth of "writers block". if you start writing something the feel stuck...let it marinate and come back to it.
Another thing of importance, read...a lot. Learn the business side of this artistic discipline early to not get taken advantage of. Follow the pros and learn from the cons of your predecessors. And surround yourself with a positive, supportive circle.
 

 13.) Where can poet fan’s catch you performing doing the week and weekend’s?

 I'm usually at some local Brooklyn open mics and others that go on weekly and monthly. Like Brooklyn Nights at Nicholas 2nd saturdays, downtown BK, 570 Fulton st. and Inspired Word Every wed. at 116 McDougal st. in Manhattan. and Street Poets Den 3rd Fridays in Bedstuy Brooklyn.



13 Years
 

I lost count how many times

I've contemplated suicide since 13 y/o.

And just thinking about it

gives me the shakes more than liquor,

used to clean this open wound of nightmares in my head;



As a result, there were friendships torn and

these images of scorned graves of family members

crucified the retinas of my soul like Jesus

with black faces in white hoods.

K-K-K on their backs in Blood red;

White faces in black hoods with K-K-K on their backs in Crypt blue.



Racial stew boiled with a recipe for disaster.

Spending years mastering de baiting dreams

so death could see me Cuming;

and just like in bedrooms,

premature ejaculating is unsatisfactory.



Dining at Father Time's table has always been

a game of Russian roulette for me,

but how many cases of this scenario

have you seen...?



Since life is the disease of nature

we're all suffering from,

its not surprising killing sprees end with

the gun man as his last victim.

Like if he gone die why not take 20-40 souls with him.



Or with women who blindly date abusers,

playing ground beef with their faces

and his fists were the meat tenderizers;

Sure Chris, it "really" was a lapse of rage.



Yes. Most domestic violence doesn’t end with victim’s suicide to be free.

Though most females I know would be like,

"I'd shoot the motherfucker if he ever laid his hands on me!"

thing is you never truly know

what kind of demons bunk in silent chamber minds.

Silent screams line by line,

Silent smiles hide killer’s future crimes.



The number 13 for many has been associated with bad luck.

But I know of a poet, who goes by the name 13,

and every word he spits lifts the masses souls up.

So fuck a curse.

Like my man Essence said,

"The cost of dying is going up!"

As a writer if I run out of words worth

then my pens worth is worthless

I'm here today.

But tomorrow isn’t promised to me or you.



This Haunting numeral comes back to me again.

Seems like these words were 13 years in the making,

26 now, so this poem from the pen is out on probation.

After patiently waiting for some paper to explode on,

you can judge if you want, but like snitches in the hood,

with this page my ball point will just roll on;

Thinking this lyrical liquor won't hit ya brains liver

then your ass is so wrong.



No, this isn’t no self pity poem.

It’s an I wrote this for those who going through it with me poem.

Stones from these hands have never been thrown hastily

below the waist of me are the only stones I hold dear

Sometimes it seems like no matter how loud my voice does elevate

the pressure weights of common man have it feeling irrelevant

like sex to someone who's celibate and focused.



So I wonder how my mother feels bout me having suicidal thoughts, again.

Only this time Scratching cold blue blood ink into a page instead of her apt. walls,

signs of my own internal down fall b4 standing

as a man and

Arch goes my back while fielding out life

just manning UP so she can be proud of her lost son.

Managing life like Abraham for God when he sacrificed his son for the long run



Know that when I'm done and the last lines from these idle hands are written

And every writer that follows vision isn't too frost bitten to see,

feel and hear me will realize,

The open wounds of nightmare realities inside

was spoken to set both of us free.

“Honest Abe” Abraham Benjamin [© 2009]




To contact Abraham Benjamin about having him featured as poet at your open-mic (Booklinghonestabe@gmail.com)


Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dtruthspeaks

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/t_izhonestabe

Artist site: http://www.reverbnation.com/dtruthspeaks (buy and download my album in the store on here)

TO purchase my book: http://www.twopensandlint.com/honestabe


No comments:

Post a Comment